Are you Hungry for the Upcoming Games?

26 different languages. 38 different countries. And now only 37 more days of waiting until the movie that has readers and moviegoers psyched around the world, will be released in theaters. On March 23, 2012, cinemas will be packed, waiting for this epic adventure to begin. This movie is based on a trilogy of books written by Suzanne Collins that have topped the charts and won numerous accolades. The Hunger Games is the first book in the series, followed by Catching Fire and Mockingjay. They take place in a post-apocalyptic World where the North American countries like the U.S., once existed. Every year, the capitol of Panem, which is the country that our main character, Katniss, lives in, sends one girl and one boy from each of the twelve districts to fight to the death in an arena. 16 year old Katniss’ little sister, Primrose, is picked to be the female tribute for their distinct, but Katniss steps up and takes her place. She is joined by Peeta Mellark, a boy who is the same age as her and who share an interesting past.

I am personally excited for this movie because of how well the books were written. Now I know a lot of people try not to get their hopes up about books that are becoming movies, but I believe you won’t be disappointed by this one. I’ve watched the trailers an obsessive amount of times, and from what I can tell, they have followed the story line extremely well and have done a phenomenal job casting. Jennifer Lawrence will play Katniss Everdeen, our feline heroine, Josh Hutcherson will play the role of Peeta Mellark, the bread boy, and Liam Hemsworth will be Gale Hawthorne, Katniss’ best friend. Based on the cast and the official trailer that you can view on You Tube, it looks like we are in for a sweet treat.

Just a word of caution, however, if the movie is anything like the books, there will be some scenes that some people might find disturbing. I recommend further checking out the movie for any content that you might be uncomfortable with, but if you can tough it out for a couple hours, it might just be worth it. The film is not yet rated, but is predicted to have a PG-13 rating due to some violence and intense scenes.

Thanks for reading and hopefully you are now interested in the upcoming movie or in reading the book. I strongly recommend reading the book before seeing the movie if you can, because you might get some background information that will help you to understand the movie better. If not, just sit back, relax and enjoy the show. (Don’t get to relaxed though because this movie might have some interesting twists you didn’t see coming) 😉

~Danielle Putnam