O Canada “Reaching Its Capital”

File:OttawaCollage.png

Many people probably didn’t even know much about this country until Trump was running for America’s President in 2016 and we all threatened to move there, or when Drake released his newest album. Besides these reasons, what is the first thing that pops up in one’s head when they think of Canada. Most people would think of Canadian Bacon, Maple Syrup, and any other Hockey Team that’s not from America in the NHL. But besides that, most people in the world and especially Americans probably don’t know anything else about this country; disappointing. Most think many stereotypes about Canada such as “riding a dogsled to work everyday.” but, why not learn about another country so you won’t think it’s just “your friendly neighbor up north”, and “break” the stereotypes given to this country.
For starters why not  talk about everybody’s favorite part when visiting the country is its capital. The capital of Canada is Ottawa, which is located in in eastern Ontario and is close to the Quebec border. In any capital there is always something to do. For starters, Ottawa has a great diversity among people who live there. Much of the people speak English and French, but one in five of the people from the city are from a different country, which means Ottowa is quite the diverse city.
Besides being a diverse city, Ottawa has the world’s largest ice skating rink Rideau Canal. This ice rink offers something in those cold winter months that shouldn’t be missed. On average there are about 19,000 visitors that come to the rink and the best part is that it is free! If you forget your skates or don’t have any you can rent them there as well. This one wintery activity that nobody wants to miss, just make sure the ice is in good skating condition before going. Another great pace to tour in Ottawa’s Parliament Hill. Parliament Hill is where the federal government of Canada. This building is overlooking the Ottawa River. This building is has and interesting style called Gothic Revival and it is really a striking work of architecture in the heart of Canada’s capital. There are three separate parts in the building which incorporate the same style of architecture. This building has been through a lot though in its pass. In 1916, a great fire swept the building and the only room saved was the library. And most importantly, every July 1, thousands of people gather at this special building to celebrate Canada Day.
The final interesting place to visit in canada is the Canadian mint. Now I know from personal experience what it is like to go here, because I have been here myself, but I have got to say this is gotta be one of the coolest places I have ever been. Not only does this museum give tours, it talks about Canada’s rich history and how it became to where it is today. This is where Canada’s beautiful coins are made and they even show you how. The also show collectible coins that are super cool. Inside the museum at the end of the tour there is also a 24k brick that you can attempt to lift, (its quite heavy). Overall I definitely recommend the Canadian mint.
To conclude this long blog about Canada, and what to do in its capital Ottawa, I am proud to say that I wish I could go back and visit again and again. Canada is quite the lovely country with such a diverse culture, that it’s impossible to get bored there. Canada’s capital itself has got some of the greatest places to tour in the country and if anybody could go and visit Canada, well then you should.

File:Ottawa Canada 1938.jpg

~Lily