Helping Hand

Every Monday after school I go into Waterbury to volunteer for the Special Olympics Program. I teach children with special needs to play many sports game. Some of these games include Volleyball, Basketball, and Soccer. These are just a few of the sports that are offered. Students participate in many sports from skiing to softball. It runs all year round and is a very popular organization. The PAL (Police Activity League) association is open to all kids ages 8-18. We work with the children, and help them to play in tournaments against other towns for championships, titles and medals.

I find this organization to be very inspiring. PAL is a great way for kids with special needs to get involved in their community and play sports with other kids. This last weekend I was able to participate in a volleyball tournament for Special Olympics. Most of the kids in this program are not exactly capable of serving a ball, or passing the ball over the net. This experience has really made me be grateful for what I have, and the things that I am capable of. I enjoy this experience so much, because I feel that if I can help them, I am helping the people who are unable to do many things.

~Karly