CELL PHONES?

We live in the decade of electronics that surround us. Ipods, Ipads, computers, video games, 3D TVs, and cell phones. All these luxuries make our lives better. But letting young kids like in third grade own cell phones is absurd. Cell phones are used for emergencies only. Sales men and lawyers use cell phones for their work. So what will a little 10 year old kid use a cell phone for? Texting his or her friends? Cell phones are a device to use as part of jobs, for emergencies, and important situations. Why would any parent let their little kid own such an expensive device for no real reason for using it?

Many kids that are in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade own cell phones. Why? There is no reason a kid at that age should own one. I got my first cell phone toward the end of 6th grade. I got my cell phone because I was biking to school a mile every day [AKA for SAFETY]. Yet kids in lower grades have no set reason to own a cell phone. What will a youngster do with a cell phone anyway? Probably nothing. These cell phone owning kids think its cool to own one. “Hey look I just got the new IPhone 4s.” Who cares, you are in 4th grade why do you need that? They don’t. The parents of these cell phone owning kids at such a young age are teaching kids the wrong aspect in life by giving their kids a harmful device. Also, kids are clumsy at a young age and that new $200 IPhone 4s you just got him or her could be broken in days, or lost. All I am trying to say its ridiculous for a kid to own any kind of cellular device at their age. Sure let them own one at 12, 13, 14 and on but not at 9, 10 an 11. Kids in their teens can be trusted with such a device and have a better reason to own one. Going on dates, hanging out with friends, and being out of the house is a good reason to own a cell phone for important emergencies that occur often. Lastly, I disagree with any parent that lets their young-lings own an expensive device for no particular reason.

~Russell Jasman