“Red, White, Blue and Gold”

As you may know the U.S national women’s soccer team won the gold medal at the 2012 London Olympics.  Lead by coach Pia Sundhage and captain Christi Rampone, the U.S team beat Japan 2-1 in the final match. After winning, the U.S women went on a fan-tribute tour. During this event they played against various team, traveled all over the United States, and visited fans across the country. Flashing their new white and red candy cane jerseys, the girl’s soccer team showcased their fancy foot skill for supporting fans and celebrated winning gold. These events occurred  from September 1st to October 23rd.  Events were well attended as fans were excited to see some of their favorite players – Hope Solo, Abby Wambach, and Alex Morgan play.

During the fan-tribute tour, I was lucky enough to attend the October 23rd event in East Hartford, Connecticut. I saw my favorite player, Megan Rapinoe play. Along with many of my soccer friends, we saw the women play against Germany where they tied the game 2-2. The highlight of the game was seeing Abby Wambach do a diving header to score. I believe the U.S women soccer fan-tribute tour was a great success.  It let many fans, especially young soccer players see a once in a lifetime game. I saw many other soccer teams gathered together in the stands like my team. Thru my own eyes, I witnessed the excitement of many screaming happy fans cheering on the team.  Congrats on the team for winning gold!

~Alexa Fiala

One thought on ““Red, White, Blue and Gold”

1. I totally agree with you. Going to see the womens team play was a once in a life time opportunity for many people. I definitely think that the tour was a success because there were people from all over the USA coming to see the game. This was a great article!!!