Gay Marriage

A couple weeks ago on May 9th, history was made. President Obama announced  that he supported same-sex marriage. He makes clear during an interview  that everyone should be treated equal and if a couple (of the same gender) wants to get married, that is their choice and nothing should get in the way of their decision. Even though he claims this is his own personal opinion, he still encouraged states to decide on this issue on their own. Many people believe that this statement will help President Obama be re-elected President of the United States because he may be able to gain votes from gay and lesbian couples. Others believe he will lose votes from those who strictly believe that marriage should be between a man and a women.  I personally believe that the younger generation of our country, agrees more with Obama and supporting gay marriage, rather than the elders. I think this will be an issue for Obama because those who support his viewpoint are not as likely to vote.

In my opinion, I don’t think there is anything wrong with gay or lesbian couples getting married. I agree with President Obama that everyone should be treated equally. If gay and lesbian couples are denied the right to get married  then they aren’t being treated as equals. I think that people can’t help who they fall in love with and it’s not their fault if they happen to fall in love with a person of the same gender. If they are ready for the commitment, they should be able to marry the person they love just like everyone else does. What are your opinions on gay marriage?

~Allie Vazquez