The History of “Fockey”

When most people think about sports they think about baseball, football, and soccer.  But what about field hockey?  Although baseball and football are extremely popular, they are not Olympic sports.  However, field hockey is.  All of these sports are highly recognized but field hockey is not.  Why?

According to World’s Most Popular Sports, field hockey is voted in at a number three.  I believe that it should be ranked higher because it is played in over 116 countries worldwide, whereas number two being cricket is played mainly in just India.  To go along with this, field hockey has been in the Olympics, for men, since 1929, and for women since 1980.  Field hockey is both a sport for men and women of all ages.  Field hockey consists of two teams on a field with eleven players participating on each side.  There are five forwards, three midfielders, two defenders, and a goalie.  The object of the game is to score points by shooting the ball at your opponents goalie, following by the rules of course.  Field hockey is an enjoyable sport that I believe if more people knew about it, they would fall in love with it.

~Nicole Salamone

One thought on “The History of “Fockey”

1. WOW! This is soooooo good and i just can’t believe a 13 year old was able to write such an honest piece. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!