Is All We Learn In School Really Necessary?

Almost every kid attends school  for 12 years. From 1st to 12th grade. We have to stay for 6-7 hours a day learning different topics. Is everything we have learned really going to matter in 10 or 20 years? I don’t think it will.

For the most part, usually choosing a career will only involve using one or two subjects from your past. An example is becoming a lawyer. You would only need to know about the Constitution and other important documents from our country’s history. Will you need math or science? Not at all. So, why are we stuck learning about every subject when in reality, we will probably not use most of them? Most people would say it’s because they don’t know what they want to be when they grow up. Well, I’m sure there are many people who have a general idea in the field they plan on going into. I, for one want to go into the medical field. The medical field only requires math, science, and Latin. Not really much else. What’s the point of having to learn and do all this work when in the future we won’t need it?

~Alexa Kareco

2 thoughts on “Is All We Learn In School Really Necessary?

1. I agree in some fashion, but do you need to know how to read and write? Should you know about our country’s history? Should you know how to keep track of and plan your finances? Get physical exercise and learn how you can do that? Do we need to know about our governmental system and how it works?

There are many things that are taught in a way that can and should be changed. While we need to focus on what we want to do, we need to be well rounded individuals that have knowledge about the world that is going on around us.

2. Well, I’d say that you still have a lot to learn because you don’t know what you need to learn in order to do various jobs.

Still, you’re right, in a way. But at least for me, life isn’t just about a career. For me, learning isn’t just about figuring out what you need in order to do a job. I like learning about lots of interesting things, and as I get older, more and more things seem interesting. But I too find it frustrating when schools want to tell you what should be of interest to you.